Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:42:45 -0400
From: "Garrett M. Groff" <groffg@...design.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Fwd: n3td3v has a fan

I appreciate Valdis's point and agree with it. I'll posit that there is an
optimal balance that can be achieved vis-a-vis security. I'll use airport
security as my example. In this case, security theater becomes a political
necessity (fed gov't needs to look responsive after 9/11 to re-assure people
that something is being done). If people are being assured that something is
being done, that can (potentially) lower the "level" at which people feel
terrorized, as they believe that they are protected. However, if security
theater becomes too restraining or inordinately conspicuous, the perception
of safety could back-fire, as people feel one or both of the following: a)
the authorities are desperate; and b) authorities inconvenience (at best)
and detain (worse) innocent parties. That second point could lead to a
backlash against the very security that is (ideally) protecting the populace
from terrorism-by-plane.

Security theater by itself is disadvantageous by definition. Further,
security theater might provide a "good show" where people think they are
secure, creating an environment that reduces pressure to enact more
meaningful but less visible security measures.

Bottom line: security theater isn't universally "bad." But it is
incontrovertibly insufficient.

- G