Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 01:16:29 +0300
From: "Avraham Schneider" <avri.schneider@...il.com>
To: "Bruce Ediger" <eballen1@...st.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Hardcoded Keys

> I believe it almost never happens.  As I understand the card association
> rules, the merchant has to hang on to the data for refund purposes.
.
.
.
> A few years ago I worked on a corporate credit-card processing system, and
> I pushed for keeping a cryptographic hash of the credit card number, but
> not the number itself.  That would have eliminated the need to encrypt
> card numbers, and any basis for accusing a programer of stealing card numbers.
>
> Alas, between card association rules, and the anti-fraud group wanting the
> exact card number, my idea got discarded.
Why didn't you suggest encrypting card numbers, without storing the
decryption keys?
If the user wants a refund - he will have to type his password (which
will be the key) to decrypt the card number and the decrypted card
number will be sent to the processing gateway.
Since the user's password is not stored in the database, just the hash
of it, you don't risk an attacker getting access to all credit card
numbers if/once he hacks into your server...