Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:01:04 -0400
From: "Eliah Kagan" <degeneracypressure@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [inbox] Re: Supporters urge halt to, hacker's,
	extradition to US

mcwidget wrote:
> This has happened in the UK a few years back -
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm.  A guy was fined £500,
> given a 12 months conditional discharge and had his laptop and wireless card
> confiscated for repeatedly using someone's unsecured wireless with his
> laptop from his car.  There was no evidence to suggest he was doing anything
> malicious with it.

The US is not the UK.

The US has some problems that the UK doesn't have. (We have decimated
lawyer-client confidentiality, for instance, and seem to really like
torturing people.) The UK has some problems the US doesn't have (the
UK has eliminated the 400 year old prohibition on double jeopardy for
serious crimes, in the UK illegally obtained evidence has always been
admissible in court, though causing the officers obtaining it to be
criminally liable, and so forth). And even beyond our problems, we are
**different systems**.

My understanding is that in the US, it is *perfectly legal* to listen
or talk to any Wi-Fi system, though attempting to crack encryption is
illegal. My understanding may be wrong, but I have heard of zero cases
to indicate that.

Consider that, in Windows XP, Microsoft made the default behavior to
automatically detect and connect to open wireless APs...

-Eliah