Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:22:18 -0400
From: Jeremy Brown <0xjbrown41@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: List of Fuzzers

Via your example:

int authenticate(char* username, char* password) {
       char* buffer[500];
       if (checkAuthentication(username, password)) {
               sprintf(buffer, "User %s succesfully logged in",
                        username);
               log("%s", buffer);
               // continue with authenticated user
               return 0;
       }

       return 1;
}

I realize that a fuzzer may not be able to trigger a bug like this. I
also think a *human* couldn't either. Because (and I'm assuming)
checkAuthentication() checks username/password against a database of
valid combinations. If that is so, then how would you practically
exploit this situation? I guess you could overflow the buffer if a
username in the database of valid credentials was over 500 bytes, but
really, I don't think this is such a good example. Understood, though,
that fuzzing has its limitations (that can be fixed and applied like
everything else) when it must fulfil certain values and/or pass
certain tests before the vulnerability is triggerable.

Jeremy