Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:16:01 -0700
From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler@...ibm.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: When is it valid to claim that a vulnerability
	leads to a remote attack?

A reputable security defect reporting organization is claiming that a
Windows program is subject to a remote attack because:

* The vulnerable program (call it 'pqrminder') is registered as the
'handler' for files with a specific extension (call it '.pqr').
* If the user downloads a '.pqr' file (or is sent on in the mail and clicks
on it), then 'pqrminder' is invoked.
* If the file is malformed, then arbitrary code can be executed (buffer
overflow).

While recognizing that there is a bug here, that does not strike me as
being what is normally meant by a 'remote attack'.

--
Jonathan Leffler (jleffler@...ibm.com)
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Information Management