Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:45:33 +0100
From: Thierry Zoller <Thierry@...ler.lu>
To: Anthony Desnos <desnos@...ea.fr>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: iAWACS 2010 : Rules of the PWN2KILL contest

Hi Anthony,

AD> The PWN2KILL Contest aims at performing a comparative evaluation of
AD> commercial
AD> antivirus software against actual threats.
AD> An actual threat can be defined as any threat that is operationnally
AD> viable.

The challenge is rather large and the goals not really clear, based of
above,  "pwn" includes dropping custom malware and checking whether
it    is    detected. Installing a rootkit is counted as pwned? You do
not include  the hardware details of the machine for instance if there
are cpu vitalization features supported?

Apparently  proactive  detection  rules can simply be ignored based on
the  assumption  a  grandma will click yes anyways.(below) I am not
sure  thought a grandma really provides the incentive to create custom
code in real life ;)

Will this really will prove anything, from my experience all
an  every  anti-virus  software can be pwned (as per your definition)
with custom unknown code. What  is left are the Windows7 ACLs which
you need to bypass also, these can be more of a problem then
"bypassing" AV.

I  am  with  Sergio,  what is there to gain for somebody that spends x
weeks  on  targets  ?  Apart  from having their name displayed on your
website, that might not be enough for anybody ;)

Regards,
Thierry

http://blog.zoller.lu
Thierry Zoller