Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:20:53 +0000
From: "Adrian P." <ap@...citizen.org>
To: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
Cc: funsec <funsec@...uxbox.org>, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	"bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Chuck Norris Botnet and Broadband Routers

It's no secret that there are tons of broadband routers/modems with
exposed admin interfaces (HTTP/SSH/Telnet/whatever) using default/weak
credentials.

While the Chuck Norris botnet is interesting in that it shows that the
problem is real, it shouldn't surprise anyone who has researched the
security of broadband embedded devices.

It's also not the first time an incident of this nature has happened.
I'm sure a lot of the list readers remember the mass-phishing attack
launched November 2007 [1] against several popular 2Wire broadband
routers in Mexico. The attack was accomplished by means of changing
the router's DNS settings via a CSRF hole on the web interface.

A similar issue used to exist on the BT Home Hub and was reported in
October 2007 [2] (a month earlier) where it was possible to compromise
the router by tricking a user to visit a malicious page. The payload
[3] would then exploit an authentication bypass and CSRF vulnerability
in order to enable the "remote assistance" feature. (The intended
purpose of this feature was to allow BT engineers to remotely
troubleshoot home routers.) The attacker could then login remotely to
the router with admin privileges using a password of his choice (set
in the actual exploit payload).

And of course there is the infamous BeThere backdoor admin account
reported in February 2007 which you mentioned in your article [4].

The security of home-grade embedded devices has a long way to go. I
think that the home router hacking challenge [5] [6] confirmed this by
showing that many of these devices are affected by serious
vulnerabilities, many of which are trivially exploitable.

I couldn't agree more that ISPs do need to take responsibility and
ensure that new modem/router builds are audited for common security
issues before being distributed to their broadband customers.

ap

[1] http://www.hispasec.com/unaaldia/3313
[2] http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/bt-home-flub-pwnin-the-bt-home-hub/
[3] http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/bt-home-flub-pwnin-the-bt-home-hub-4/