Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:50:06 -0600
From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Allegations regarding OpenBSD IPSEC

There are several problems with this story that seem to have been
overlooked.

First, if someone was able to alter the crypto source code 10 years ago,
you have to assume that in the following 10 years not one person reviewing
or editing that code would have noticed a thing.  So, the person who did
the altering has to be smarter than every other crypto guy who worked on
the code.  Smart enough that nobody would even notice what he did and smart
enough that nothing would be noticed operationally.  Not one entity, with
all the security personnel those entities employed, would have ever noticed
or even inadvertently stumbled across any traffic going to an unexpected
place.

Second, no one editing the crypto code after the alteration would have ever
made a single change to the code that would affect the alteration in an
adverse way, either rendering it inoperable or causing it to generate
traffic that would be unexpected and noticed by watchful eyes.

Now we're talking a genius on the level of Einstein, at least.  Of all the
code in use, crypto is probably the most scrutinized and is scrutinized by
the smartest guys.  All of whom were apparently too dumb to notice
*anything* unusual in the code at all, if this story is to be believed.
And he was able to alter it in a way that made it completely resistant to
any future changes in the code.

Finally, the guy who sent Theo the email obviously lied, or else there's a
third Scott Lowe that hasn't yet been unearthed.

It's impossible to prove a negative.  So, if you want to hurt or get back
at Theo for some reason, the easiest way to do it is claim there's a
supersekrit backdoor in the code that no one has noticed for ten years.
Now Theo gets to go on a wild goose chase that has no resolution, because
you cannot prove there is no backdoor.  The best you can do is claim to
have thoroughly audited the code and not found one.

Conspiracy theorists thrive on claims that can never be disproven.  A
hundred years from now, people will still be whispering that there's a
backdoor in the crypto supplied by OpenBSD.  Just like they claim that
Oswald didn't act alone and the government blew up the twin towers.  Common
sense and the preponderance of the evidence tell you otherwise, but all
that is ignored in favor of the grand theory that big brother is watching.

Rational people don't fall for this stuff.

Should the code be audited?  Of course!  Auditing is always useful and
often productive.  Should we assume the worst?  Not without better evidence
than what we have before us now.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst