Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:00:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Aaron <apconole@...oo.com>
To: Nelson Brito <nbrito@...ure.org>, dailydave@...ts.immunitysec.com,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Dailydave] [TOOL RELEASE] T50 Sukhoi PAK FA
	Mixed Packet Injector v2.45r-H2HC

This will be my last post on the thread. You can think I'm trying to troll you
all you want - doesn't mean that is my intent.

The goal, as I understand it, of T50 is to be a software based version of a
SmartBits tester, yes? You aim to saturate a network link with as much traffic
as possible, and that traffic needs to be predictable. In that case, you need to
keep a few important requirements in mind:

1 - if we want to saturate multiple links simultaneously, having multiple
contexts of execution being able to feed multiple network devices would be a
good thing(tm). Additionally, you need a way to measure what's being done on the
link - best way to do that is with a second nic which is able to capture the
packets. Preferably, this is not just done with tcpdump/wireshark and manually
trying to correlate.

2 - You failed to understand what packet_mmap is, or what I meant by checksum
recalculation. Here's a quick logical proof:
 a - Time spent working on the packet is time spent not transmitting
 b - Time spent not transmitting is time that the network may have to absorb
your attempt at saturation
 c - Time spent computing checksums, rebuilding packets from the header, from
the very beginning is time spent working on the packet
 d - Time spent memcpy()'ing from userspace to kernel space is additionally,
time spent not transmitting
 e  - Using these mechanisms (like the packet_mmap tx ring) reduces your latency
for transmission and tries to push the bottleneck as close to the hardware as
possible.
  Your code makes at least 2 memcpy()s. Additionally, you don't use the ethtool
IOCTLs to try and increase the actual nic buffers, which I think we can both
agree is just a smart idea.

3 - TCPREPLAY has far more advantage than T50; don't bother trying to deny it.
It floods a link just as well as T50, and since you control the pcap, you
control the packets transmitted - and can do anything with them, not just
whatever options T50 allows. Tcpreplay can also flood with the captured packet's
MAC included, meaning that if you do this to test your network, you can test
your ability to detect which macs/ports can be turned off/on to alleviate an
internal attack. The fact that you can even use real-world packet captures is
just gravy. I can take emacs in hex mode and stamp out a TCP-SYN. Heck, I can
use a packet capture of HPING and have a tcp-syn. Pcaps of interesting traffic
are all over the internet, just use some google-fu. Heck, I can get captures of
3gpp traffic searching google. You have any SCTP generation? Any RRC or NBAP
message flooding? When can I expect T50 to have this functionality? tcpreplay
has it, as long as I have the packets.

4 - You still didn't explain how this isn't just hping --flood? I've gone
through the code - what am I missing? I'm curious - you just decided to attack
me, and call me stupid - I've refrained from juvenile responses. What am I
missing? What power do I get with this tool that I don't already have?

5 - I'm not trying to have you give me, or anyone else credit - and nowhere in
my email did I say such. I, frankly, don't care who gets their name plastered on
what piece of if/then/else code; I do care to evaluate potentially better
network saturation solutions, since that's part and parcel of my day-to-day life
at work (network flood testing). I've used smartbits, tcpreplay, and tried using
T50. It's not even close to either of those tools in terms of features. It
doesn't have any clear advantage, either. I'm just trying to help you not spend
your time re-inventing a wheel that is inferior to readily available ones. You
can take that any way you want.

Regards,
-Aaron