Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:16:13 -0800
From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@...edump.cx>
To: Yigit Turgut <y.turgut@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: www.google.com xss vulnerability Using mhtml

> I woudn't like to discourage ppl submitting vulns to vendors but this is the
> response you'll most likely to get from those kind of vendors no matter what
> you found in their system. I had more than a dozen similar experience like
> yours. Now it's public + fixed and you gotta get nothing beside these
> replies (:

I think you'd be surprised. Our reward panel consists solely of people
you would recognize from this list, BUGTRAQ, or vendor advisories; and
we are very consistent, timely, and pretty generous in rewarding a
large proportion of all incoming reports. Ask around :-)

In this particular case, though, the underlying problem is clearly a
browser-side flaw that is nearly impossible to fully address on web
application side - and one that first surfaced in 2004, then wasn't
fully fixed in 2007:

http://openmya.hacker.jp/hasegawa/security/ms07-034.txt

Even in cases like this, we sometimes reward the reporter when we are
given advance notice, and there are clear ways we can protect our
users. But in this instance, the report is already public, we are
already aware it, and we are trying to deploy basic workarounds in a
number of exposed spots; and as noted, realistically, there is a
limited recourse any web app provider will have.

/mz