Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 14:31:15 -0600
From: Marsh Ray <marsh@...endedsubset.com>
To: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@...edump.cx>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Google open redirect

On 12/08/2011 12:37 AM, Michal Zalewski wrote:

> For time being, if you make security decisions based on onmouseover
> tooltips, link text, or anything along these lines, and do not examine
> the address bar of the site you are ultimately interacting with, there
> is very little any particular web application can do to save you: you
> are just at a significant risk wherever you go. If you take away open
> redirectors, a myriad of other, comparable ways to fool you remain,
> and can't be fixed easily.

I think reasoning based on this is subtly fallacious and it often
contributes to disagreements between researchers and large vendors. This
is how we got into the state of the web today: bad faith on the part of
browser vendors.

They may be in the minority, but there *are* users out there who know
how to look at the address bar. The security researcher knows this
because he is one of them. I call this group the "competent and
contentious users".

Large vendors are constantly holding bad faith against their userbase.
This may be borne out by large user studies, but I've lost count of the
number of times I've heard actual security improvements shot down
because "typical users" are presumed to be so incompetent and careless
that they will fail to derive a significant benefit from it.

I maintain that design decisions affecting security must be driven by
the needs of the competent and contentious user because if he cannot
achieve effective security in using of the system, then what chance has
the "typical user"?!

Avoiding security improvements because the are perceived as being of
little benefit to type typical user is wrong. Doing so gains nothing for
the typical users, it decreases the security available to competent and
contientious users, and worst of all it actively removes any incentives
for the "typical user" to begin to take responsibility for their own
security.

I think when the "typical user" gets pwned with phishing or malware he
thinks a combination of "stupid Microsoft", "the Internet is out to get
me", and "what did I do wrong?". The vendor implicitly answers: "you did
nothing wrong because this is all too complicated for you to understand,
you should install this additional product to give you better security".
Perhaps this made sense back when the Internet was a toy and the biggest
security risk was a limited-liability credit card number, but today we
have whole populations in places like Iran wondering if their ass is
going to get tortured over something they said on social media.

I think a lot of typical users today are probably wanting to move into
that other category and we should support them in that.

- Marsh