Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 15:12:03 -0400
From: Ian Hayes <cthulhucalling@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks
 Against Iran

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the US Government would gain better results by mass protests and
> chanting peace songs.
>
> Or perhaps it just doesn't work this way.
>
> They shouldn't be blamed, everyone knows fighting fire with fire is very
> effective, just as everyone
> knows the people calling the government names are the same ones with small
> botnets lying about.
> Can't blame them, now that someone else is using their own tools against
> them.

I call upon the ghost of Heinlein: "Anyone who clings to the
historically untrue—and thoroughly immoral—doctrine that, ‘violence
never settles anything’ I would advise to conjure the ghosts of
Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it.
The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the
Dodo, the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force,
has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the
contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget
this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and
freedom.”

There are those out there in power who only know the language of
brute, naked force. No amount of cajoling, pleading, bargaining nor
wheedling will sway them. On appeals to their better nature, no
brilliant displays of logic and intellect. Pretty words uttered by
politicians fall on deaf ears. But a punch to the nose, a kick to the
nuts -the universal language of violence- that's something they
understand intimately. And they respect that. Of course it's always
preferable to sit down at the negotiating table and barter out a
peace. What do we do when they knock over the table and make a mess?

What separates us from them is the fact that we normally don't speak
the universal language from the get-go. Is it deplorable? Yes. But
like having to take a crap every now and then, it's necessary. The
murder of civilans is certainly a terrible crime, but that and the
release of some malware that breaks centrifuges is certainly better
than other options.