Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 15:40:23 -0400
From: valdis.kletnieks@...edu
To: Laurelai <laurelai@...echan.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks
	Against Iran

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:04:11 -0400, Laurelai said:
> I think the real question we should all think on is what are we going to
> do about this kind of thing?
>
> Because the way I see it, the infosec industry is part of this problem
> until it finds a way to be a part of the solution, if you all even
> desire this.

You're actually almost right, except for one minor detail - saying "the infosec
industry is part of this problem" as if the "infosec industry" is one entity
with one agenda.  We got black hats, we got grey hats, we got white hats, we
got people with paisley hats selling us software. Some of us are attackers,
some are defenders, some are consultants who give advice to whoever will pay.

If anything, different parts of "the infosec industry" are part of the problem,
but in different ways.  And not all of them will desire a solution, nor will you
even get a consensus on what "solution" even means - we got people who
want "no cyber-warfare", but we also got people who's next mortgage
payment depends on it continuing.