Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:33:36 +0200
From: Gynvael Coldwind <gynvael@...dwind.pl>
To: Stefan Kanthak <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
Cc: fulldisclosure <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [FD] Beginner's error: import function of Windows Mail executes
 rogue program C:\Program.exe with credentials of other account

So reading the links you provided I semi-agree with you. I think the
problem boils down to this part of your initial e-mail:

> PS: yes, it needs administrative privileges to write C:\Program.exe.
>    BUT: all the user account(s) created during Windows setup have
>    administrative privileges.

My point was (and it still stands) that if you have admin access, this
isn't a privilege escalation, as there is no "escalation" part here.

The links you provided use different wording, e.g.
(http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2013/07/09/assessing-risk-for-the-july-2013-security-updates.aspx):
"To exploit the vulnerability addressed by this update, attacker must
have permission to create a new file at the root of the system drive.
(C:\malicious.exe)"

This makes of course more sense, though as I did mention above, it
does seem to require deliberate action from the administrator to
actually allow a non-admin user the WD (add file to directory)
privilege on C:\, which is rather rare I would say.

That being said, after thinking about it again I do see your point,
which I interpret at: even if an administrator grants all users WD/AD
on C:\, there should be no reason for him to worry, as there is no
reason to suspect files placed in C:\ are going to auto-execute on
certain events*.
* let's leave autoexec.bat/config.sys out of this, as that branch of
Windows is long dead and supported only FAT anyway

So let me change my initial e-mail to: Congratz on finding the bug :)

(BTW not sure why did you bring UAC into the discussion - did I miss
something? or was it just an argument you've heard before and wanted
to reply to it preventively?)

Cheers!

Gynvael Coldwind