Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:12:48 +0200
From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
To: "Gynvael Coldwind" <gynvael@...dwind.pl>
Cc: fulldisclosure <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [FD] Beginner's error: import function of Windows Mail executes
	rogue program C:\Program.exe with credentials of other account

Gynvael Coldwind wrote:

> So reading the links you provided I semi-agree with you. I think the
> problem boils down to this part of your initial e-mail:
>
>> PS: yes, it needs administrative privileges to write C:\Program.exe.
>>    BUT: all the user account(s) created during Windows setup have
>>    administrative privileges.
>
> My point was (and it still stands) that if you have admin access, this
> isn't a privilege escalation, as there is no "escalation" part here.

Correct.
If only Microsoft would educate its users to exercise STRICT user
separation and use different accounts for administration and daily work.

This is where and why UAC chimes in (which answers your question below):
Joe Average uses the administrative account created during Windows setup,
but UAC strips the administrator rights.
Microsoft "sells" UAC as "Joe Average works with standard user rights"
or "Joe Average is not an administrator any more", neglecting that Joe
will happily approve almost every request for administrative rights (or
isnt asked at all when one of the about 70 Windows executables which are
exempt from the elevation prompt are auto-elevated).

> The links you provided use different wording, e.g.
> (http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2013/07/09/assessing-risk-for-the-july-2013-security-updates.aspx):
> "To exploit the vulnerability addressed by this update, attacker must
> have permission to create a new file at the root of the system drive.
> (C:\malicious.exe)"
>
> This makes of course more sense, though as I did mention above, it
> does seem to require deliberate action from the administrator to
> actually allow a non-admin user the WD (add file to directory)
> privilege on C:\, which is rather rare I would say.

Correct.
This argument holds as long as strict user separation is exercised.
But with UAC, Joe Average is both user and administrator, and isnt
really aware of his split personality.

> That being said, after thinking about it again I do see your point,
> which I interpret at: even if an administrator grants all users WD/AD
> on C:\, there should be no reason for him to worry, as there is no
> reason to suspect files placed in C:\ are going to auto-execute on
> certain events*.
> * let's leave autoexec.bat/config.sys out of this, as that branch of
> Windows is long dead and supported only FAT anyway
>
> So let me change my initial e-mail to: Congratz on finding the bug :)
>
> (BTW not sure why did you bring UAC into the discussion - did I miss
> something? or was it just an argument you've heard before and wanted
> to reply to it preventively?)
>
> Cheers!

regards
Stefan