Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 00:48:54 +0100
From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
To: "Paul Szabo" <paul.szabo@...ney.edu.au>,
	<fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [FD] Defense in depth -- the Microsoft way (part 64): Windows
	Defender loads and exeutes arbitrary DLLs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-antivirus/configuration-management-reference-windows-defender-antivirus
> suggest that enforcement of WindowsDefender is a supported feature.

Yes, partially: this vulnerability allows unprivileged users
a) to bypass "on-demand" scans of files downloaded from the internet
   or other computers (which are initiated by the attachment manager),
b) to load an arbitrary DLL whenever a program calls the attachment
   manager or the IOfficeAntiVirus interface to initiate an "on-demand"
   scan;
"realtime" scans initiated via the file system filter driver of the
anti-malware platform are NOT affected.

regards
Stefan