Date:	Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:59:22 +0000
From:	Felipe Franciosi <ozzy@....ic.ac.uk>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Simple inode question (ext2/3)

Hi Andreas,

On 25 Feb 2009, at 04:06, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009  21:48 +0000, Felipe Franciosi wrote:
>>> This isn't for some college class, is it?
>>
>> No, it is not. Where would you get that idea from?
>
> Because there are lots of questions like this from university
> students that would rather have the mailing list do their
> homework for them.

I'm sorry, but quite honestly, I don't think my questions looked like
"hey, can someone do this for me?".

I've had replies from other people in the list. Some with similar
questions, but believe me, AFRAID of asking them publicly exactly
because you can get this kind of reply.

And as I've said to another member of the list that also contacted me
privately: I'd rather help students with humble and honest questions
than developers that lie about their skills to get a job and then go
to mailing lists to get their work done for them.

> How sad that you have just been rude one of the main ext2/3/4
> developers,
> e2fsprogs maintainer, and one of the most senior Linux kernel
> developers.

I know exactly who he is and how good he is (at least, technically),
because I follow this list's discussions. I just don't see how he is
helping by not only refusing to answer, but also constantly and
publicly asking questions about my intentions in an offensive manner,
already criticising the way I'm experimenting something.

> I would suggest that you look at what ext2_iget->ext2_get_inode() is
> doing.

Thank you. This is the kind of reply I was expecting. Much appreciated.

> You will have a hard time getting much help from the list unless you
> change
> your attitude.

Unless some people stand up and say something about this type of reply
from time to time, NO ONE is getting any help here.

As a matter of fact, I didn't see any critics to the question below. I
can only assume that messing with inodes can look academic or not
depending on the phase of the moon or something.