Date:	Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:19:13 -0400
From:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@...cle.com>,
	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	Eric Sandeen <esandeen@...hat.com>,
	Subrata Modak <subrata@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Updated fsx.c program (fixed fallocate)

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:32:37AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
 > Randy Dunlap wrote:
 > > On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:39:38 -0600 Andreas Dilger wrote:
 > >
 > >> I've done some work to merge some of the existing fsx.c mods into a
 > >> single version.  Over & above the version that is in the LTP, I've
 > >> included AKPM's O_DIRECT fixes (with a twist), the BSD mmap page and
 > >> segfault handling, and per-write fsync.
 > >
 > > It sure would be Good if fsx-linux had a fixed, known home, instead of
 > > having to look at Andrew's ext3-tools, Dave's codemonkey files,
 > > LTP, linux-fsdevel mailing list, etc.
 > >
 > > Is there a linux-fs-tests package somewhere?  (like where the xfstests
 > > are being merged into)
 >
 > Well, I think Andreas' idea was to make LTP the official home for now
 > which is why I was going to send it here ...
 >
 > But I don't think xfstests is being merged into anything at the moment;
 > if anything, we're working to make it a more generic suite of tests (it
 > can run about 50 tests on generic posix filesystems by now).

I'd love to see a tests/ directory shipped with the kernel.
It's been talked about for about several years and still hasn't happened.

Is it just because no-one has stepped up to do it ?
I would be happy to manage a git tree for marshalling stuff on its way to Linus
if that's all that's holding this idea back.

Of course if there are other objections..

	Dave