Date:	Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:59:39 -0600
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:	fabian-buettner@....de
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Corrupt superblocks

fabian-buettner@....de wrote:
>> Why do you say you have a corrupted superblock?
>
> Because of this message: fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to
> open /dev/vg/root
> /dev/vg/root: The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct
> ext2 filesystem ... at the end of this message i am told to run e2fsck -b
> 8193 <device>

Right, but:

# e2fsck /dev/a_file_that_i_made_up
e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open
/dev/a_file_that_i_made_up

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

all that means is /dev/vg/root doesn't exist and e2fsck can't even get
off the ground.  Note the "if the device is valid" part ...

>> I suppose I'd try booting a live/rescue cd, and just manually run e2fsck
>> against your root device, as a starter - and capture any interesting
>>  output.
>>
>> Any sort of kernel or fsck logs indicating more of what actually went
>> wrong would be Very helpful here.
>
> I just booted into a rescue cd and run e2fsck /dev/vg/root.
> surprisingly it said: /dev/vg/root: clean

so it sounds like your root vg isn't getting assembled properly in your
other situation, which is more of a block device / lvm problem than an
ext4 problem, I think.

-Eric