Date:	Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:07:40 +0100
From:	fabian-buettner@....de
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Corrupt superblocks

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 22:59:39 you wrote:
> Right, but:
>
> # e2fsck /dev/a_file_that_i_made_up
> e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
> e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open
> /dev/a_file_that_i_made_up
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> all that means is /dev/vg/root doesn't exist and e2fsck can't even get
> off the ground.  Note the "if the device is valid" part ...

I see.

> so it sounds like your root vg isn't getting assembled properly in your
> other situation, which is more of a block device / lvm problem than an
> ext4 problem, I think.
>
> -Eric

So maybe i did harm my fs by running e2fsck -b?
Because running fsck afterwards gave me a lot of those Group descriptor
checksum fixing proposals?
I am surprised that e2fsck just told me that my fs is clean.

Do you have a clue why an entry in my /etc/fsab like
/dev/vg/root            /               ext4            noatime         0 0
works, while
/dev/vg/root            /               ext4            noatime         0 1
doesnt?

- fabian