Date:	Fri, 24 Sep 2010 23:57:53 -0500
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:	Bernhard Rohrer <graylion@...wg.net>
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext4 blocksize peculiarities

Bernhard Rohrer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a 3.3 TB partition (yes really) that is formatted with ext4 and 4
> kiB blocks. What little data I have on that appears to use up an
> extraordinary amount of space, so I had a closer look.
>
> root@...collab:/home/adminlion# df -h
> /dev/mapper/primary_vg-primary_var
>                       3.5T   43G  3.3T   2% /var
>
> we see that 43 GiB appear to be taking up something that gets rounded to
> 200 GiB

by default 5% is reserved for the super-user, 5% of 3.3T is 168G,
168G + 43G is roughly 200G

-Eric

> if we look at:
>
> root@...collab:/home/adminlion# df
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/primary_vg-primary_var
>           3696706360  44362800 3464561624   2% /var
>
> now 44362800 4k blocks are 169.23 GiB,

those are 1k blocks :)

Anyway, what you are seeing is the 5% reserved space, which does
not show up in "Used" but is reflected in "Avail"

It is confusing and you're not the first one to get tripped up :)

-Eric