Date:   Thu, 11 Jul 2019 11:23:15 +0200
From:   Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:     Thomas Walker <Thomas.Walker@...sigma.com>
Cc:     "'linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org'" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        "Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com>,
        "'tytso@....edu'" <tytso@....edu>,
        Geoffrey Thomas <Geoffrey.Thomas@...sigma.com>
Subject: Re: Phantom full ext4 root filesystems on 4.1 through 4.14 kernels

On Wed 26-06-19 11:17:54, Thomas Walker wrote:
> Sorry to revive a rather old thread, but Elana mentioned that there might
> have been a related fix recently?  Possibly something to do with
> truncate?  A quick scan of the last month or so turned up
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg65772.html but none of these
> seemed obviously applicable to me.  We do still experience this phantom
> space usage quite frequently (although the remount workaround below has
> lowered the priority).

I don't recall any fix for this. But seeing that remount "fixes" the issue
for you can you try whether one of the following has a similar effect?

1) Try "sync"
2) Try "fsfreeze -f / && fsfreeze -u /"
3) Try "echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"

Also what is the contents of
/sys/fs/ext4/<problematic-device>/delayed_allocation_blocks
when the issue happens?

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>