Date:   Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:47:46 +0200
From:   Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:     Boyang Xue <bxue@...hat.com>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, tytso@....edu
Subject: Re: [kernel-5.11 regression] tune2fs fails after shutdown

Hello Boyang,

On Thu 12-08-21 09:47:30, Boyang Xue wrote:
> (Adding the author of the commits)
> Hi Jan,
>
> The commit
>
> 81414b4dd48 ext4: remove redundant sb checksum recomputation
>
> breaks the original reproducer of
>
> 4274f516d4bc ext4: recalucate superblock checksum after updating free
> blocks/inodes
>
> I'm wondering is it expected please?

Thanks for report! So for record the problem is not that superblock with
incorrect checksum would ever get to disk with my patches but the checksum
will be incorrect in the buffer cache until the moment we start writeout of
the superblock. And tune2fs accesses the buffer cache and sees the
incorrect (stale) checksum. It is impossible to fix this problem completely
(the tune2fs access is fundamentally racy) but yes, I guess returning the
checksum recalculation back will make the race window small and the cost is
small. I'll send a patch for this shortly.

Also can you perhaps make this sequence into a fstests testcase for ext4
filesystem so that we have it covered? Thanks!

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>
SUSE Labs, CR