Date:   Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:43:33 -0700
From:   Avi Deitcher <avi@...tcher.net>
To:     "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: algorithm for half-md4 used in htree directories

Thanks, Ted, I will try yours and step through it to figure out what is off.

You ask a fair question: other than madness, why would someone want to
recreate the exact algorithm?

I have had a number of cases where I have needed to manipulate disks,
filesystems, partition tables, etc. from within a non-C-source
program. The options have been: fork/exec to some external program;
run a VM where I can mount the fs and manipulate content as needed.
Those both work, but have had issues in various environments.

I made the mistake of saying, "well, all of this is just manipulating
bytes on a disk image or block device; how hard could it be?" :-)
So understanding the algorithm actually becomes important.

I probably could link the library in if I am working on languages that
support it (go, rust), but not all do, and there are reasons that is
more difficult for the target use case.

I was long hoping to finish with go and move onto Rust by now, then
possibly some others, but this is not what I get paid for, so catch as
catch can.

Does that answer? Feel free to say, "madness" too; I won't disagree.
Avi

--
Avi Deitcher
avi@...tcher.net