Date:	Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:41:56 +0100
From:	"Adam Henley" <adamazing@...il.com>
To:	"Sébastien Bernard" <seb@...nkengul.org>
Cc:	debian-sparc@...ts.debian.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Weird kernel 2.6.17.[67] behaviour

On 27/07/06, Sébastien Bernard <seb@...nkengul.org> wrote:
> seb@...nkengul.org a écrit :
> > I got a perfectly workable kernel 2.6.17.1 using mkinitramfs on my U60.
> >
> > Can you shed some lights on this dark corner of linux ?
> >
> >       Seb

I can't shed any more light on it, but I can look too :o)

The original mailing of the patch to the list is below:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0607.1/1694.html

[snip>
The prctl() system call should never allow to set "dumpable" to the
value 2. Especially not for non-privileged users.

This can be split into three cases:
  1) running as root -- then core dumps will already be done as root,
     and so prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE, 2) is not useful
  2) running as non-root w/setuid-to-root -- this is the debatable case
  3) running as non-root w/setuid-to-non-root -- then you definitely
     do NOT want "dumpable" to get set to 2 because you have the
     privilege escalation vulnerability
<snip]

Is it that something else is misbehaving and trying to dump core as root?