Date:	Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:28:07 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...l.org>
CC:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [git patch] add and use include/linux/magic.h

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Along the lines of linux/poison.h, do a similar thing with filesystem
>> superblock (and later perhaps, other) magic numbers.  This permits
>> us to delete several headers which -only- included the superblock
>> magic number, and it integrates well with dwmw2's header_check /
>> header_install stuff.
>
> Ok, I'm a little worried that somebody might want its own magic number,
> but not have its namespace poisoned by other peoples magic numbers (think
> some user-level program like "e2fsck"), but I guess it's unlikely to be a
> real problem.

Yeah, especially given that the namespace has separate prefixed for
separate filesystems.

> One more thing: your "please pull" looks fine, but if you were to also add
> the "--summary" argument to the diffstat generation, I'd have seen:
>
>> Please pull from 'magic' branch of
>> master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/misc-2.6.git magic
>>
>> to receive the following updates:
>>
>>  fs/affs/affs.h               |    1 -
>>  fs/affs/super.c              |    1 +
>>  include/linux/smb.h          |    3 +--
>>  include/linux/usbdevice_fs.h |    3 +--
>
> followed by:
>
>  delete mode 100644 include/linux/affs_fs.h
>  delete mode 100644 include/linux/hpfs_fs.h
>  create mode 100644 include/linux/magic.h
>  delete mode 100644 include/linux/openprom_fs.h
>
> which is nice. You see which files actually disappear or appear (or are
> renamed). Ok?

Right now I just pipe 'git diff master..branch' to diffstat.

I've attached the script I use, it's pretty basic.

Since I'm using the normal diffstat, "just add --summary" won't work.
What is the full command line you were looking for?

	Jeff

View attachment "mkmsg" of type "text/plain" (494 bytes)