Date:	Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:18:26 +0100
From:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
To:	"Jeffrey V. Merkey" <jmerkey@...fmountaingroup.com>
Cc:	Petr Baudis <pasky@...e.cz>,
	Linux kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Faustian Pact between Novell and Microsoft

Hi!

> >>It's official.  Microsoft and Novell will now fork Linux.
> >>

> >(It's not clear what do you mean by "fork Linux". You mean fork the
> >kernel? Basically all the normal distributions are "forking the kernel"
> >and it seems to work fine. If not the kernel, it's even less clear.)
> >
> >But I guess I just take you too seriously. ;-)
> >

> No problem. I was shocked to see it happen, but I left Novell 10 years
> ago trying to make
> the same thing happen between the two, so today for me the future took
> root in the
> present. Seriously, Novell has a limited lifespan unless acquired, and
> an M$ acquisition
> would be a good thing for the company.

Now, agreement was a bad idea in the first place, and comments like...

This is a watershed moment for Linux. It fundamentally changes the
rules of the game. We're really excited about this deal, and we hope
you are too.

(from http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/openletter.html) only make
it worse, but acquisition? I'd hope not even mickey$oft has enough
cash for _that_.
									Pavel