Date:	Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:25:16 +0100
From:	Prakash Punnoor <prakash@...noor.de>
To:	Christian <christiand59@....de>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Sluggish system responsiveness on I/O

Am Samstag 18 November 2006 14:12 schrieb Christian:
> So I tried to nice the make and see what happens:
>
> nice 5 make -j4: Seems to make no difference. Heavy stuttering in glxgears
> and et
> nice 10 make -j4: Somewhat better but still unusable with et
>
> everything above nice 15 is usable. nice 19 has full interactivity, that
> means you can't make out a difference between no load and kernel compile
> while playing enemy-territory.
>
> I suspect that it has something to do with the priority boost for I/O hogs.
> But if this is a "general" scheduler problem, then why aren't more people
> complaining about this?

I complained about this a year ago, but not much has changed. :-( It gets esp
bad if you copy GB size files (the writes are the problemmakers, less the
reads) - no matter which io scheduler I use, though using deadline seems to
lessen the impact a little bit. And I don't find it acceptable to have to
play around with nice to get a responsible desktop, esp when one is using a
GUI.

Cheers,
--
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\