Date:	Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:22:05 +0100
From:	Ondrej Zary <linux@...nbow-software.org>
To:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
Cc:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...sta.de>,
	George Talusan <gstalusan@...terloo.ca>, perex@...e.cz,
	alsa-devel@...a-project.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] sound/isa/cmi8330.c: dead ENABLE_SB_MIXER code

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 10:59, you wrote:
> At Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:04:34 +0100,
>
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > In sound/isa/cmi8330.c, the ENABLE_SB_MIXER code is currently never
> > used.
> >
> > What's the story behind this?
> > Should ENABLE_SB_MIXER be enabled?
> > Or the code be removed?
>
> CMI8330 has a dual interface for SB and Adlib modes.  The mixer can
> also behave differently according to the mode.  The current code has
> mixer elements corresponding to both modes.

CMI8330 (and also CMI8329) appears like SB16 and WSS

> However, these mixer elements _seem_ to interactive with each other,
> and cannot be controlled individually.  That's why ENABLE_SB_MIXER is
> disabled.  I cannot check this issue any longer since the test board
> got broken long time ago...

The mixer is a bit weird - and probably different between CMI8329 and CMI8330.
At least on my CMI8329A, the master volume does not work. And there are also
some problems with PCM volume - I can decrease it in alsamixer but not
increase - but it works both ways in XMMS...
I have also some boards with integrated CMI8330 - so I might test it
sometimes.

> I don't think we would get many gain by changing this old code.
> (and the relevant part isn't so big.)
> Let's keep as it is.
>

> Takashi
> -