Date:	Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:28:12 -0600
From:	Steve Brueggeman <xioborg@...si.com>
To:	Auke Kok <sofar@...-projects.org>
Cc:	Akula2 <akula2.shark@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Multi kernel tree support on the same distro?

There are some difficulties with gcc versions between linux-2.4 and linux-2.6,
but I do not recall all of the details off of the top of my head.  If I recall
correctly, one of the issues is, linux-2.4 ?prefers? gcc-2.96, while newer
linux-2.6 support/prefer gcc-3.? or greater.

At any rate, what I've done is create a chroot environment.  I created this
chroot directory by installing an older distribution that was created with
linux-2.4 in mind (example, RedHat v8.2) into that at chroot directory.  The
easiest way to do this that I'm aware of is to install the older distribution
(minimal development, no server junk, no X junk) on another computer, then copy
from that computer to a directory on your development computer.

Then chroot to that directory with something like

chroot /home/linux-2.4-devel /bin/bash
mount /proc

Note that I have had some issues with having a linux-2.6 kernel on /proc with a
linux-2.4 distribution, but nothing that greatly affects code development.

Of course, I'm assuming that you are the only person that has access to this
development computer, because chroot is a security risk (example: cd /; cd ..)

Sorry for being short on details, but I hope this helps.

Steve Brueggeman