Date:	Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:14:42 -0800
From:	Auke Kok <sofar@...-projects.org>
To:	Akula2 <akula2.shark@...il.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Multi kernel tree support on the same distro?

Akula2 wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am looking to use multiple kernel trees on the same distro. Example:-
>
> 2.6.19.1 for - software/tools development
> 2.4.34    for - embedded systems development.
>
> I do know that 2.6 supports embedded in a big way....but still
> requirement demands to work with such boards as an example:-
>
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/linux/ARM.htm
>
> My question is HOW-TO enable a distro with multi kernel trees?
> Presently am using Fedora Core 5/6 for much of the development
> activities (Cell BE SDK related at Labs).
>
> Any hints/suggestions would be a great leap for me to do this on my own.

this is really no big problem (as in: works OOTB), except that if you want to boot & run
both kernels on the same (rootfs) installation, you will need to create wrappers around
modutils and module-init-tools, as well as udev/devfs, or whichever device file system
you prefer to use for each kernel. There are a few minor other details but none really
shocking.

We've done this for "our" source distro, and it works just fine.

Cheers,

Auke