Date:	Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:15:36 +0100
From:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
To:	Alessandro Di Marco <dmr@....it>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, vojtech@...e.cz
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] System Inactivity Monitor v1.0

Hi!

>    Imagine for a moment that we solve time-warp somehow. Any other
>    problems?
>
> Well, a user-level daemon have to process a lot of data just to detect user
> interaction. Considering that the trackpad bandwidth is nearly 5KB/sec,
> probably would be better to leave my panel alone... :-/

Ok, so we may want to introduce something like "tell me if some data
came from last time"... Actually, 5KB/sec is pretty much okay, and you
probably could get around actually reading that data.

When you know user is moving the touchpad, you could just sleep for 5
seconds (assuming user activity) and only then start monitoring it
again?

>    I'd really like to get "is user idle" solved, but it really should not be in
>    kernel unless it _has_ to. And time-warp probably causes problems not only
>    for your daemon.
>
> IMHO signal the user-space is a kernel duty and no user-space daemon will ever
> make it better. There are plenty of PM daemons out there, but Linux still lacks

Well, I do not think your kernel code is mergeable. But bits to enable
similar functionality in userspace probably would be mergeable.

								Pavel