Date:	Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:27:42 +0300
From:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...sign.ru>
To:	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa@...ibm.com>,
	"Pallipadi, Venkatesh" <venkatesh.pallipadi@...el.com>,
	Gautham shenoy <ego@...ibm.com>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: slab: start_cpu_timer/cache_reap CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU problems

On 01/29, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > > Why?
> >
> > Because the last CPU_UP calls start_cpu_timer(), but since ->work.func != NULL
> > we don't do schedule_delayed_work_on(). I think (if I am right) this is a slab's
> > bug.
>
> The CPU_DOWN would need to set work.func == NULL for this to work. But
> then the slab does not shut down the work queues for the processor. Isnt
> this another issue with workqueues?

I think no, please see below. Actually, this is more related to timers for
this particular case.

>                                      The slab would need a notification
> that the workqueue for a processor was shutdown in order to set work.func
> = NULL.

The slab has a notification: CPU_XXX events. It should cancel a pending per
cpu "reap_work timer".

> > I think cache_reap() is not alone, and this is not its fault.
> >
> > But please note another minor problem,
> >
> > 	void cache_reap(struct work_struct *unused)
> > 	{
> >
> > 		schedule_delayed_work(&__get_cpu_var(reap_work), ...);
> > 	}
> >
> > Even if smp_processor_id() was stable during the execution of cache_reap(),
> > this work_struct can be moved to another CPU if CPU_DEAD happens. We can't
> > avoid this, and this is correct.
>
> Uhh.... This may not be correct in terms of how the slab operates.

But this is practically impossible to avoid. We can't delay CPU_DOWN until all
workqueues flush their cwq->worklist. This is livelockable, the work can re-queue
itself, and new works can be added since the dying CPU is still on cpu_online_map.
This means that some pending works will be processed on another CPU.

delayed_work is even worse, the timer can migrate as well.

The first problem (smp_processor_id() is not stable) could be solved if we
use freezer or with the help of not-yet-implemented scalable lock_cpu_hotplug.

> > This means that __get_cpu_var(reap_work) returns a "wrong" struct delayed_work.
> > This is absolutely harmless right now, but may be it's better to use
> > container_of(unused, struct delayed_work, work).
>
> Well seems that we have a set of unresolved issues with workqueues and cpu
> hotplug.

Yes.

Oleg.