Date:	Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:36:35 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	S.ÃaÄlar Onur <caglar@...dus.org.tr>
cc:	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc7

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, S.ÃaÄlar Onur wrote:

> For me, both 2.6.20-rc6 and 2.6.20-rc7 fails while booting with initramfs
> (initramfs that uses busybox) with "request_module: runaway loop modprobe
> binfmt-0000" error.

That _usually_ just means that /sbin/modprobe is corrupt, or compiled with
a binfmt that itself needs a module to load.

Are you 100% certain that you didn't just happen to put an /sbin/modprobe
into your initramfs that happens to be a.out, with a.out being modular? Or
something similarly silly?

Actually, with that "binfmt-0000", I guess the most likely thing is a
corrupt /sbin/modprobe that isn't a valid binfmt format at all (but the
kernel won't know the difference between a missing binfmt thing and an
invalid one). It has bytes 2/3 being zero, which is neither ELF nor
a.out, methinks.

BUT! If that's not it, doing a "git bisect" to figure out exactly what
triggered it would be a wonderful idea..

		Linus