Date:	Thu, 1 Feb 2007 05:01:16 +0200
From:	"S.Çağlar Onur" <caglar@...dus.org.tr>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc7

01 Şub 2007 Per tarihinde, Linus Torvalds şunları yazmıştı:
> That _usually_ just means that /sbin/modprobe is corrupt, or compiled with
> a binfmt that itself needs a module to load.
>
> Are you 100% certain that you didn't just happen to put an /sbin/modprobe
> into your initramfs that happens to be a.out, with a.out being modular? Or
> something similarly silly?

Yep, i'm sure config and binary is OK.

zangetsu ~ # readelf -h /sbin/busybox
ELF Header:
  Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  Class:                             ELF32
  Data:                              2's complement, little endian
  Version:                           1 (current)
  OS/ABI:                            UNIX - System V
  ABI Version:                       0
  Type:                              EXEC (Executable file)
  Machine:                           Intel 80386
  Version:                           0x1
  Entry point address:               0x8048130
  Start of program headers:          52 (bytes into file)
  Start of section headers:          1010608 (bytes into file)
  Flags:                             0x0
  Size of this header:               52 (bytes)
  Size of program headers:           32 (bytes)
  Number of program headers:         5
  Size of section headers:           40 (bytes)
  Number of section headers:         25
  Section header string table index: 24

zangetsu ~ #  zcat /proc/config.gz | grep BINFMT
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y

And as i said before same binaries works within initrd image with same kernel

> Actually, with that "binfmt-0000", I guess the most likely thing is a
> corrupt /sbin/modprobe that isn't a valid binfmt format at all (but the
> kernel won't know the difference between a missing binfmt thing and an
> invalid one). It has bytes 2/3 being zero, which is neither ELF nor
> a.out, methinks.
>
> BUT! If that's not it, doing a "git bisect" to figure out exactly what
> triggered it would be a wonderful idea..

I think i found the cause of the problem, initramfs can't handle hardlinks
anymore (which works with 2.6.18), copying same /sbin/busybox binary with
different names into initramfs (which ends ups with 50 MB image) or using
symbolic ones instead of hards seems works.

--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar@...dus.org.tr>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!