Date:	Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:05:31 -0500
From:	William Cohen <wcohen@...hat.com>
To:	William Cohen <wcohen@...hat.com>
CC:	eranian@....hp.com, perfmon@...ali.hpl.hp.com,
	oprofile-list@...ts.sourceforge.net, linux-ia64@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, perfctr-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [perfmon] 2.6.20 new perfmon code base + libpfm + pfmon

William Cohen wrote:
> Hello Stephane,
>
> The oprofile patch should be made against the oprofile cvs rather than
> the 0.9.2 tarball. There are some files that the patch touches that are
> created by the autogen.sh.
>
> The oprofile patch doesn't build if things are configured without the
> "--enable-perfmon2".
>
> gcc -W -Wall -fno-common -Wdeclaration-after-statement
> -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g -O2   -o oprofiled  init.o oprofiled.o
> opd_stats.o opd_sfile.o opd_kernel.o opd_trans.o opd_cookie.o
> opd_events.o opd_mangling.o opd_perfmon.o opd_perfmon_22.o
> opd_perfmon_compat.o opd_anon.o liblegacy/liblegacy.a ../libabi/libabi.a
> ../libdb/libodb.a ../libop/libop.a ../libutil/libutil.a -lpopt -liberty
> -ldl
> opd_perfmon.o: In function `perfmon_init':
> /home/wcohen/research/profiling/oprofile/oprofile-0.9.2-perfmon2/daemon/opd_perfmon.c:384:
> undefined reference to `do_perfmon_init'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> -Will

Hi Stephane,

I tweaked the oprofile patch a bit so that it applies to the oprofile cvs
repository and builds with and without being configured with --enable-perfmon2.
The patch is attached.

Things that will need to be done to the patch:

-handle case where perfmon pmd/pmc registers are unavailable
	Is the method being used going to work for systemwide perfmon?
		create a thread local context then collect unavail regs.
	What happens if another thread using a register that is marked
		available in the current thread?
-handle naming differences between oprofile events and perfmon2
-general cleanup

-Will

View attachment "oprof-perfmon2-cvs4.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (34175 bytes)