Date:	Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:51:29 +0000
From:	Matt Keenan <tank.en.mate@...il.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
	bgoglin@...e.fr, addy@...drics.com
Subject: Re: copy_one_pte()

Andrew Morton wrote:
> (cc restored.  Please always do reply-to-all).
>

>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:35:07 +0000 Matt Keenan <tank.en.mate@...il.com> wrote:
>> Christoph Hellwig wrote:

>>> There is no such thing as ioproc_update_page in any mainline tree.
>>> You must be looking at some vendor tree with braindead patches applied.
>>>

>> It looks like this function exists as a part of patches to support
>> Quadrics NICs / RDMA (HPC platforms).  The patches are there so the
>> driver doesn't need to pin pages, it can be informed of page updates
>> directly.  A patch was submitted to l-k sometime in 2005.
>>

> Oh Dear.
>
> Which vendor's kernel are we talking about here?

I don't know of any vendor's kernels that support this (but then I run
vanilla kernels on Debian).  I just grep'ed for the patch because it
sounded interesting.  There was a posting for it to l-k on 26th April
2005 from David Addison of Quadrics Ltd xref
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/4/26/198  According to David, you (Andrew) and
Andrea Arcangeli asked for it to be posted for some feedback, the main
feedback was on whitespace issues and COWs w.r.t. fork().  Brice Goglin
made an interesting comment about using a similar method but tracking
VMAs rather than address spaces.  By the looks of things it never went
into the mainline kernel.  I lurk a bit (I sometimes miss things) on l-k
but I hadn't noticed any other methods for dynamic DMA direct to user
space (other than pinning pages), is there anything planned?

Matt

p.s. I Cc'ed Brice Goglin and David Addison