Date:	Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:47:44 +0200
From:	Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@....de>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	Oliver Neukum <oneukum@...e.de>,
	linux-usb-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] possible USB regression with 2.6.21-rc4: iPod doesn't work

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 16:28:34 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Tino Keitel wrote:
>
> > Attached is a dmesg output with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND
> > enabled.
> >
> > There are no messages from the iPod because, well, nothing happens when
> > I plug it in. I tried it 3 times.
>
> I don't understand.  The dmesg log you attached shows the iPod was
> detected and recognized as scsi5 (sdc).  Then some time later (can't tell
> how much later because you don't have CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME set) it was
> unplugged and plugged back in.  The second time it was detected and
> recognized as scsi6 (also sdc).  And then the log ends.

Not in the attached dmesg output from the above mail. There are not
iPod related messages it it, but I plugged it in 2 times. I rebootet
with the same kernel version without CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND right after
this and the iPod was recognized at the first try.

> Why do you say there are no messages from the iPod?  Grepping for "iPod"
> in the log shows that the string appears 4 times.  If nothing happened
> when you plugged it in, how could the computer have known the device was
> an iPod?
>
> >  The strange thing is: when I trigger
> > a suspend or shutdown,
>
> You mean you suspend or shutdown the computer?  Or the iPod?

The computer.

> >  then the "Do not disconnect" message shows up on
> > the iPod, which means that the computer regognized it as a storage
> > device.
>
> What's so strange about that?  Isn't that exactly what's supposed to
> happen?

Well, it isn't recognized by a normal running system, only during
shutdown/suspend.

Regards,
Tino