Date:	Sun, 29 Apr 2007 02:04:29 +0100
From:	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>
To:	David Lang <david.lang@...italinsight.com>
Cc:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>,
	Josh Triplett <josh@...nel.org>, Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 12:15:50PM -0700, David Lang wrote:

> with dynaticks now in the kernel it may even be possible to have the idle
> process decide that the next event is far enough away that it should
> suspend-to-ram until that point.

This would be ideal (and it's broadly what the OLPC guys are aiming for,
I think), but on most platforms you're looking at at least a second or
so to resume. As far as I know, we're still looking at ~60 ticks a
second at best for an average desktop, so that's not going to be a win.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@...f.ucam.org