Date:	Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Davide Libenzi <davidel@...ilserver.org>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
cc:	Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...hat.com>, Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>,
	Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@....com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Subject: Re: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Its called "discipline". I would suggest that libc contains a default
> > > allocator. You might also want to assign library and application ranges
> > > for clarity.
> >
> > That is really nice solution. Each library has to have each own allocator.
>
> Are you being deliberately stupid ?
>
> I suggested *libc* contains a default allocator

"You might also want to assign library and application ranges for clarity."

So let's see. We have the legacy one (1st fdtable), the non-legacy app one
(2nd fdtable) and one for the library (3rd fdtable). And which library?
Each one his own (4th, 5th ... fdtable)? ...

> > replicated all around the code that access directly the fdtables. I did
> > the fdmap consolidation patch, and I can tell you there are quite a few
> > places that access fdtables directly.
>
> This is true, but if you are worried about complexity we get back to the
> original posix allocator which packs them in tight and produces a most
> excellent spread in the general case (whacko apps like bash aside)

... complexity does not come from the allocator, but from the fact that
direct access to the fdtable is done all over the kernel. Code that
assumes there's only *one* fdtable.

- Davide