Date:	Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:34:16 +0200
From:	Anton Petrusevich <casus@...us.us>
To:	Rene Herman <rene.herman@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?

On Thursday 28 June 2007 17:02:55 you wrote:
> Please always use Reply-to-All on this list -- subscribers here like to
> also get personal copies.

I am not subscribed to linux-kernel, I am reading it on the web.

> > I have ICE1724, a very good sound card to my taste, works like a charm.
> > But with ALSA I had a really hard time to configure it properly, wanna
> > see my .asoundrc?
> Not particularly. I don't count as a great fan of the config file syntax
> and don't use any configuration myself.

Do you have an SPDIF out? If you don't then you don't need .asoundrc of
course.

> The first thing I don't know is why you need an .asoundrc at all.

Because I want to route it differently, sometimes to spdif, sometimes to
headphones, sometimes to mix sounds from different apps. Well, my config may
be a bit ancient as it was written when dmix was not default.

> I've CCed
> the alsa-user list -- some subscribers to it probably have experience with
> ice1724 and might be able to get you specific advice if you want.

I have read some advices for ice1724 already. The main reason I wrote to
lkml -- I hate .asounrc and reading docs about it. I hate "flexebility" that
requires restarting apps after changing sound routes.

> > Is there a tool which can be used to configure .asoundrc?
> vi.

I perfectly know this one. I would like to use some really user-friendly tool.

> > I want to be able to hear sound from flashplayer on my reciever or in my
> > headphones -- how?
>
> Not sure? Is your receiver on an analog output and are your headphones

My receiver is on spdif out.

> connected directly to a card output as well? In that case, "or" would seem
> to be just a mixer issue, and "and" would be dependent on hardware
> abilities and needs someone who knows your specific card and setup.
>
> > It's not quite clear to me how to get full duplex working with my
> > .asoundrc.
>
> It's not working without an .asoundrc?

Looks like it's not working with. As skype is not so informative.

> But -- I'll personally not continue this very specific subthread simply due
> to not having the hardware, nor great generic experience with an .asounrc
> due to not needing it myself. When I do use one, I alway start by googling
> up a few examples and take it from there. Perhaps someone from alsa-user
> will step in.

I am not about ice1724 or .asounrc here. I am trying to talk about
user-friendliness of ALSA. It's very unfriendly.

--
Anton Petrusevich