Date:	Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:20:54 -0700
From:	"Mitchell Erblich" <erblichs@...thlink.net>
To:	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	"Ingo Molnar" <mingo@...e.hu>,
	"\"T. J. Brumfield\"" <enderandrew@...il.com>
Subject: Re: about modularization

Ingo Molnar and group,

    If we just concentrate on CPU schedulars...

     IMO,  POSIX requirements almost guarantee
     the support for modularization. The different
     task scheds allow a set of task class specific
     funcs to be generated. The question is whether
     those modular schedulars will ALWAYS consume
     kernel footprint space?

    With the arg of modularization is really targeted
    to optional hardware and decreases the kernel
    footprint size. Then here is a arg to support only 1
    default schedular and take the rest of the sched
    code and modularize that..

      IMO, ONLY some envs REQUIRE RT
      sched and some envs REQUIRE MP
      (multi-core and multi-processor) scheduling.
      I question whether the core kernel needs
      this support.
      .
    This additional capability could be removed
    from the growing kernel footprint and
    additional schedulars could be kept in the src
    code base with increasingly minimal effort if full
    modularization support were added.

    Thus, a hybrid schedular approach could be taken
    that would default to a single uni-processor schedular
    (ex: CFS) and the other schedulars could be
    modularized.

    Mitchell Erblich
    ------------------------

    Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew@...il.com> wrote:
>
> > 1 - Can someone please explain why the kernel can be modular in every
> > other aspect, including offering a choice of IO schedulers, but not
> > kernel schedulers?
>
> that's a fundamental misconception. If you boot into a distro kernel on
> a typical PC, about half of the kernel code that the box runs in any
> moment will be in modules, half of it is in the "kernel core". For
> example, on a random laptop:
>
>  $ echo `lsmod | cut -c1-30 | cut -d' ' -f2-` | sed 's/Size //' |
>    sed 's/ /+/g' | bc
>  2513784
>
> i.e. 2.5 MB of modules. The core kernel's size:
>
>  $ dmesg | grep 'kernel code'
>  Memory: 2053212k/2087808k available (2185k kernel code, 33240k reserved,
1174k data, 244k init, 1170304k highmem)