Date:	Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:06:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:	rct@...rkin.frus.com (Bob Tracy)
To:	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG?] 2.6.23-rc3 on alpha

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > I'm seeing something new and strange with 2.6.23-rc3 that I wasn't
> > seeing in the 2.6.22+ kernels.  I've got the bootlogo code enabled,
> > and at the point during system initialization where the logo
> > disappears, the console switches from tty1 to tty2.  I can switch
> > back to tty1, so other than the unexpected console tty switch, there
> > doesn't seem to be anything "unfortunate" happening.
> >
> > Any ideas/explanations?  It's completely repeatable.  I don't think
> > it's related to the "aboot" patches :-).
>
> The kernel doesn't make the logo disappear, the boot scripts (in
> userspace) do that. So I guess they also switch the console from tty1 to
> tty2.

Agreed that a userspace program is triggering the console switch (the
boot logo normally disappears when the VC fonts get loaded), but what
changed to make this happen where it wasn't happening before?  I've
obviously got some more detective work to do, but I had discounted the
possibility of a user space software update being responsible: the
Debian stable series tends not to have many updates...  Hmmm...  I
recently updated libc6 and related packages (locales, tzdata, etc.).
I don't think I'm going to track this down anytime soon, but the first
step would be to determine which init script is involved.