Date:	Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:28:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Joerg Pommnitz <pommnitz@...oo.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, hpa@...or.com
Subject: RE: Regression in 2.6.23-pre Was: Problems with 2.6.23-rc6 on AMD Geode LX800

 > There is something very fishy.
 >
 > The only documentation you've given us so far is a screen shot which
 > contained a message ("BIOS data check successful") which doesn't occur
 > in the kernel.
 >
 > The loader string doesn't look all that familiar either; it looks like
 > an extremely old version of SYSLINUX, but that doesn't contain that
 > message either.

The boot loader is LILO from Ubuntu 7.04, so it should be fairly recent.

 > INT 6 is #UD, the undefined instruction exception.  This is consistent with:
 >
 > > Its hitting a bug - specifically (from bootmem.c:125):
 > > BUG_ON(PFN_DOWN(addr) >= bdata->node_low_pfn);
 >
 > However, all that tells us is that reserve_bootmem_core() was either
 > called with a bad address or bdata->node_low_pfn is garbage.  In
 > particular, without knowing how it got there it's hard to know for sure.
 >
 > Could you send me the boot messages from a working kernel boot?

Attached is a boot log I get where the last patch is
f2d98ae63dc64dedb00499289e13a50677f771f9, e.g. "Linker script for the
new x86 setup code".

The kernel is directly from "git bisect, make defconfig, make", no local
changes or strange patches applied. Build environment is plain Ubuntu-7.04.

--
Kind regards

       Joerg