Date:	Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:09:13 +0200
From:	Helmut Toplizer <bgrpt@...litzer.net>
To:	poison <rc.poison@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-2.6.23 - acting funny

Hi!

I had similar behavior in the kernel releases since I can think of.
(You may find some reports about at
http://marc.info/?a=113508574400006&r=1&w=2)

Maybe your problem is similar.

Here's what have been found out:
Plugin of ehci devices causes some strange DMA thing
which causes delays because of the CPU HLT instruction.
(DMA are handled with delays on HLT)

Possible fixes:
1) Kernel parameter: idle=poll
    Disables HLT and causes heat up and noise from the cpu

2) Don't insert EHCI-USB devices

3) Patch: attached, try out at your own risk.
    you need to add a kernel-boot parameter "disableviahlt"
   (You've got a via-chipset, right?)

Please report back to me if 1/2 works or to linux-ide if the patch works.
Thanks

Helmut

View attachment "02_hlt_dma_patch.diff" of type "text/x-diff" (1896 bytes)