Date:	Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:17:39 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, shemminger@...ux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: [patch] forcedeth: fix the NAPI poll function

Ingo Molnar wrote:

>>> agreed. Do you have an uptodate patch/git-URI for the forcedeth
>>> rewrite you did? I can throw it into the testbed.
>> Branch 'fe-lock' of
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git
>>
>> It works here locally, but at this very minute I am rewriting those
>> changesets yet again :)
>
> FYI, looks good so far, ontop of Linus' latest -git tree.
>
> btw., one thing i always found weird about forcedeth is that it
> generates an extra ~100 irqs per second even when there's no network
> traffic:
>
>  11:      89752    XT-PIC-XT        eth0
>  11:      89854    XT-PIC-XT        eth0
>  11:      89955    XT-PIC-XT        eth0
>  11:      90056    XT-PIC-XT        eth0
>  11:      90157    XT-PIC-XT        eth0
>
> (irq count snapshot every second). Just in case it's easy to fix ...

May I presume that behavior occurs in both mainline and my fe-lock branch?

That is likely the NIC's timer irq, which is programmed to kick the irq
handler every so often.  DEV_NEED_TIMERIRQ is a starting point, as well
as "Known bugs" at the top of forcedeth.c, if you're curious.

I'm _betting_ that some of that can be eliminated, but we'll see...

	Jeff