Date:	Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:01:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	cebbert@...hat.com
Cc:	jeff@...zik.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [2.6.23] tasks stuck in running state?

From: Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@...hat.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:18:08 -0400

> On 10/19/2007 06:03 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >> [jgarzik@...tzel misc-2.6]$ strace -p8484
> >> Process 8484 attached - interrupt to quit
> > [sits there, chewing up CPU grepping a 47-line header file]
> >

> And sysrq-p is pretty useless unless you can force the keyboard
> interrupt and the spinning process onto the same CPU.

Yes, I find this a painful limitation too.

Sparc64 used to dump the registers on all active cpus for show_regs()
via a cross-call, and this was incredibly useful.  But I disabled that
as soon as I started playing with Niagara because at 32 cpus and
larger the output is just too voluminous to be useful.

What might be appropriate is just to get a one-line program counter
dump on every cpu via some new sysrq keystroke.