Date:	Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:09:04 -0500
From:	"Morrison, Tom" <tmorrison@...irix.com>
To:	"Mark Lord" <liml@....ca>
Cc:	"Jeff Garzik" <jeff@...zik.org>, <linux-ide@...r.kernel.org>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: 2.6.23.1 - sata_mv (7042) hang with large file operations

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Lord [mailto:liml@....ca]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:57 PM
To: Morrison, Tom
Cc: Jeff Garzik; linux-ide@...r.kernel.org; linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org

Morrison, Tom wrote:

<snip >
> The problem comes ONLY when I am doing large file operations
> (e.g.: just copying a file) to/from the SATA drives behind
> the subject line 7042....it just hangs after about 10-15
> seconds into the copy...
>
> How large a file causes the hang - you ask - well, somewhere
> between 100Meg & 500Meg...

<snip other drivel>

::: Can you give me exact details of how to set up and reproduce this?
:::  -- Kernel version

	Linux-2.6.23.1

	NOTE: I am using ppc (arch/ppc instead of arch/powerpc)

:::  -- number/config/model of drives

	2x250GIG Western Digital - 3 partitions (largest (/dev/sda3
	~200Gig - formatted to ext2).

	7042 PEX on a MPC8548 Board

:::  -- exact command line sequence to cause the failure

	NFS mount root file system (I am currently rebuild to take away
	the NFS file system dependency) - /dev/sda3 is drive in
question...

		a) mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/src
		b) cp large_500Meg_file /mnt/src/.

NOTE: this does NOT fail on a 2.6.11 kernel version!!!!
	So I do NOT think it's a hardware problem!

	It could be a PEX related problem with arch/ppc - I would
	expect under heavy pounding with smaller files it would
	fail as well - but it does NOT)