Date:	Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:01:41 -0500
From:	"Dan Terpstra" <terpstra@...s.utk.edu>
To:	"'dean gaudet'" <dean@...tic.org>,
	"'Andi Kleen'" <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	"'papi list'" <ptools-perfapi@...utk.edu>,
	"'OSPAT devel'" <ospat-devel@...utk.edu>,
	"'Greg KH'" <gregkh@...e.de>,
	"'Perfmon'" <perfmon@...ali.hpl.hp.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"'Christoph Hellwig'" <hch@...radead.org>,
	"'Paul Mackerras'" <paulus@...ba.org>,
	"'Andrew Morton'" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	<perfmon2-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"'Philip Mucci'" <mucci@...utk.edu>
Subject: RE: [perfmon2] [perfmon] Re:  perfmon2 merge news

We've provided multiplexing in PAPI at the user level for years. That forced
it to the user level, which wasn't pretty. Or very statistically accurate.
We've been eagerly anticipating the improvements provided by in-kernel
multiplexing in perfmon2. We and our user base don't consider this a "far
away non-essential feature", but a deficiency that's needed addressing for a
long time.
- d