Date:	Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:37:37 -0500 (EST)
From:	"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@...shcourse.ca>
To:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...putergmbh.de>
cc:	Ray Lee <ray-lk@...rabbit.org>,
Subject: Re: can support for "rpm"-based package building just be dropped?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> What, modern and no rpmbuild?
> >
> >i didn't say it *wouldn't* have rpmbuild, i said it *might not*.
> >at the moment, on my f8 system, the only package that requires the
> >rpm-build package is rpmdevtools, and it's entirely possible that
> >there's no need for *that* package.
>
> rpm -b does not work in opensuse anymore (redirects you to use
> rpmbuild), and I bet fedora will do the same, so if you don't have
> rpm-build, tough luck for make rpm.

i know that that's the case *now*, but we're considering the
possibility that someone is using an older system on which "rpm" is
*still* the builder.  in the end, all i'm suggesting is that the build
should work under all possible scenarios.

rday

p.s.  i'm not *trying* to make this issue more obfuscated or
convoluted than it has to be -- i am merely succeeding.